All businesses and residents in the City of Garden Grove who have installed or are planning to install an alarm system must apply for an alarm permit with the Garden Grove Police Department. An alarm system is any device or connected devices designed for the detection of, or for alerting others to, an unauthorized entry on any premises (this includes audible alarms).
Garden Grove Municipal Code Section 8.60.040 states ... “no person shall install, have installed or use an alarm system on any premises without first applying for and receiving an alarm permit therefore in accordance with the provisions of this ordinance. No alarm permit issued under the provisions of this ordinance shall be assignable or transferable.”
How Do I obtain an alarm permit?
To obtain a permit, complete the Alarm System Application, prepare a check or money order made payable to "City of Garden Grove" and mail within (30) days to:
Garden Grove Police Department
Attn: Ordinance Coordinator
P.O. Box 3070
Garden Grove CA 92840
Your application will include pertinent information needed to issue your permit. A completed application must be on file for all permit holders. The application should include your name, address, billing address, hours of operation (for business), type of alarm you have installed, monitoring company, and emergency contacts.
Once your application and payment are received, your information will be entered into the alarm system database and you will then be issued a permit number. Please note that a paper permit will not be mailed to you and one is not required to be displayed at your place of business. However, you may call (714) 741-5875 to obtain your permit number if necessary.
You will receive a renewal in the mail when it is time for your permit to expire. However, it is the responsibility of the permittee to apply for renewal of the permit each year without notice. It is also the responsibility of the permittee to notify the Garden Grove Police Department of any changes such as monitoring company and emergency contacts, or to cancel your permit in the event that you move or close your business. Business Permit expires at the end of the year and should be renewed prior to December 31st. Residential Permit expires at the end of the third year and should be renewed prior to December 31st.
Permit & Alarm Fees
- A. Business annual permit issuance $25
- B. Residential three-year permit issuance $30
- C. False alarm prevention fee
- False alarms (each) over 2 during any 12-month period paid within 30 days of billing…(number of false alarms in the last 12 months, minus 2, times $50.00)
- For example:
- First 2 false alarms during any 12-month period $No Charge
- False alarm number 3 during any 12-month period $50.00
- False alarm number 4 during any 12-month period $100.00
- False alarm number 5 during any 12-month period $150.00
- False alarm number 6 during any 12-month period $200.00
- False alarm number 7 during any 12-month period $250.00
- Each deliberate activation of a false alarm indicating violation of Penal Code Section 211 (armed robbery), paid within 30 days of billing $100.00
Please contact the Alarm Coordinator at (714) 741-5875 if you have any questions regarding the alarm ordinance.