On Saturday, April 1, 2017, from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., a 2.5-mile route, planned for the 3rd annual Open Streets event, will be closed to cars, and open to all forms of non-motorized transportation. The Open Streets route spans from Garden Grove Boulevard at West Street, to Acacia Parkway and Historic Main Street. A relaxing, fully marked, shared bike route, or neighborhood greenway, will allow bicyclists to connect from West Street to 9th Street by way of College Avenue, Dorada Avenue, and Morgan Lane.
Along with an afternoon of bike riding, other highlights include:
- Garden Grove Boulevard, 8th Street, and Acacia Parkway: Open Streets route, filled with numerous activities, displays, and demonstrations including zip lines, a sports zone, rock wall, skate park, food truck court, the Anaheim Ducks Street Team, wine tasting, and live music.
- West Street: 2-way protected bike lane on the west side of the street (bike lane will be physically separated from vehicle traffic).
- Historic Main Street: After Party from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Event pop-up projects, co-sponsored by Go Human, will provide a sneak peek into long-term active transportation improvements, highlighting concepts from the City’s Active Streets Plan (Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan), as well as projects already planned for construction. Projects, such as the new buffered bike lanes on West Street, funded by a grant from OCTA, will be completed by June 2019.
Bicycle and Pedicab rental stations will also be available.
“The idea behind Re:Imagine Garden Grove is to create unique spaces for people to personally identify and connect with,” says Community and Economic Development Director Lisa Kim. “The Open Streets event encourages the community to experience Garden Grove streets in a different and fun way.”
For the safety of bicyclists and pedestrians, several streets will be completely, or partially closed to traffic on April 1:
- Garden Grove Boulevard (11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.): westbound closed between West and 7th Streets.
- 8th Street (approximately 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.): closed between Garden Grove Boulevard and Acacia Parkway.
- Acacia Parkway (approximately 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.): closed between 8th and Main Streets.
- Main Street (approximately 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.): closed between Garden Grove Boulevard and Acacia Parkway.
- Intersections of Garden Grove Boulevard and Newhope Street, and Garden Grove Boulevard and Lemonwood Lane: partial closures.
The Garden Grove Police Department’s Traffic Unit will be onsite to direct traffic and suggest alternate routes. For more information on street closures, contact the Garden Grove Police Department’s Traffic Unit at (714) 741-5823.
For event details and updates, visit @ggopenstreets on Facebook.