The house was started in 1891 and completed in 1892 by Edward G. Ware. It originally faced west and was located about 500 feet north of its present location. Mr. Ware was a noted horticulturist and co-developed the Eureka walnut and is credited with introducing the Valencia orange tree to the Orange County area.
This house was home to Edward, his wife Mary and daughter Lillian Agnes, who was the first native white child born in Garden Grove. Agnes married Arthur C. Stanley in 1905 and lived with her family in the house after the death of her parents. The two story farm house was surrounded by an orange grove which had its last crop picked in 1971.
Agnes Ware Stanley gave two acres of her family ranch to the Society in 1970. In 1971, her son Emerson donated the original Ware-Stanley House, his own house, the barn and tank house to the Society. The Ware-Stanley house was rotated to face north when it was moved.