The Fire Department is currently accepting interest cards from qualified candidates for the position of Fire Department Utility Driver. This is a great opportunity to gain hands-on experience and be involved with the Garden Grove Fire Department.
The Garden Grove Fire Department provides fire prevention, suppression, emergency medical service; hazardous materials release mitigation, and disaster preparedness coordination for a highly diverse city population of over 172,000, and responds to over 14,000 calls per year.
Responsibilities of Volunteer Utility Driver
The purpose of the Utility Driver program is to provide well-qualified candidates experience with some components of the fire service, including the opportunities to develop the skills, knowledge and abilities necessary to be successful in the fire service.
• Support a variety of administrative duties
• Assist the public in person and over the phone
• Safely operate a fire department vehicle when assigned
• Perform tasks as assigned
The minimum requirements for volunteers are:
• at least 18 years of age
• possess a high school diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
• a valid California driver’s license,
• completed a California State Board of Fire Services-Approved Basic Fire Academy,
• and possess an acceptable driving record prior to and throughout employment in accordance with City standards.
• Bilingual skills
• Computer skills
Qualified candidates will possess the knowledge and ability to:
• understand and follow verbal and written instructions in English
• provide effective and quality customer service within a diverse community, both in person and over the phone, to establish and maintain good relations
• operate standard office machines, including multi-line telephones, facsimile machines and copiers
• safely operate a motor vehicle
Applicants must be in good physical condition and able to perform all tasks. The physical requirements include the ability to walk, stand, climb, stoop, bend, lean, turn, twist, crouch, kneel, squat, push, pull, reach above and below shoulder level, use fingers and hands repetitively, lift and carry up to 50 lbs., speak clearly, hear normal voice conversation, see small details and long distances, distinguish colors and shades, drive a vehicle and operate motorized equipment.
The work environment described here is representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Incumbents in this classification work with others and have direct contact with the public. Incumbents work inside and outside, and in dirty, damp or wet areas; around machinery, equipment and vehicles; see long distances; see small details and colors; and drive vehicles.