The facts about burglary:
- More than 6 million residential burglaries occur annually - that’s one every ten seconds!
- Nearly half of these burglaries are committed without force - through UNLOCKED doors/windows!
- Many burglars will spend no longer than 60 seconds in trying to break into a home. Good locks and good neighbors who watch out for each other are major deterrents to crime!
Most of these burglaries CAN be prevented:
- Always lock your doors and windows, even when leaving for “just a minute.”
- Never leave a house key under a doormat, in a flower pot, or on the ledge of the door. These are the first places a burglar will look!
- Exterior doors should be of solid core wood or metal and have dead- bolt locks with a 1-inch strong metal bar (“throw”) extending into the frame.
- Sliding glass doors and windows can offer easy access if they are not properly secured. You can bolster them by installing additional security locks or putting a broomstick or dowel in the inside track to jam the door. To prevent the door being lifted off the track, drill a hole through the sliding glass door frame and the fixed frame and then insert a pin in the hole.
- Security locks should be added to garage, patio or other doors that lead into the home.
- Install a wide angle lens viewer (180 degrees) in your front door - NEVER open the door to someone you don’t know or don’t know very well!
- Use timers so that lights, radio and/or the TV will go on and off, so that it appears that someone is home even while you are away.
- Thieves hate bright lights. Install exterior lights on timers that illuminate your doors and windows all through the night.
- Prune back your shrubbery so it does not hide doors and windows. Cut back any tree limbs that a burglar could use to climb to an upper-level window.
- Stop mail and newspaper delivery if you are going to be away for an extended period of time.
- Consider an alarm system or owning a dog for added protection. You can still post “Beware of Dog” signs even if you don’t own one!
- Engrave, photograph, keep a list of your valuables with serial numbers and descriptions.
- Remember - if you come home and see a broken window or a jimmied or open door, DO NOT go in! Go to a neighbor’s home and call the police immediately.
For a FREE Home Security Inspection, call 741-5761 or 741-5762.
Contact Crime Prevention at CrimePrevention@ci.garden-grove.ca.us for more information.