PDF icon Motor Oil Collection Centers 2014.pdf251.31 KB

Dumping used motor oil and filters is illegal in the State of California. Used motor oil is a hazardous waste to humans and the environment, and it is unlawful to dump used motor oil into trash cans, storm drains, sewers, rivers, or on the ground.

Used motor oil and filters can be recycled! Oil can be used as a replacement fuel or re-refined. Filters are recycled into new metal products. Californians currently recycle over 100 million gallons of used oil every year!

Residents have the option within the City for recycling used motor oil by taking their oil to a State Certified Collection Center, see PDF above for details,
or to participate in the City’s free Residential Collection Program. For more information, call the City Used Motor Oil Recycled Administrator at (714) 741-5554 or visit the California used oil recycling program website. To schedule a pick up, call (800) 449-7587.

You make the call, and we come to your house and collect your used motor oil and filters. The collection is FREE, the phone call is FREE. Call now! ***(800) 449-7587***

To participate in Garden Grove’s Residential Used Motor Oil Recycling Program, follow these few simple steps:

  • Drain your oil into a clean, sealed plastic container not larger than 5 gallons, and not more than 20 gallons.
  • Use milk jugs, oil bottles, or water bottles with a lid.
  • Place oil filters into a plastic bag and seal it.
  • Call the 800 number to schedule a collection.
  • On your scheduled collection day, place the items by your front door or on your driveway as directed.
  • The collection crew will arrive between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., and will put the items into a spill-proof container in the collection vehicle
  • No spills, No mess, That’s It!

Questions and Answers

What day will my used motor oil and filters be collected?

Your used oil and filters will be collected by appointment. You will be informed of the next scheduled collection when you call (800) 449-7587.

Can I put paint, antifreeze, and other household hazardous waste out for collection?

No. This program is only accepting used motor oil, oil filters, and plastic motor oil bottles. For other household hazardous wastes, call the Orange County Household Hazardous Waste Hotline at (714) 834-6752. More information on hazardous waste.

Can I place my oil in any sealable plastic container?

Yes. Plastic containers may hold up to five gallons, may not have any leaks, and may not contain pesticides or toxic materials. You container will not be returned; it will be recycled.

What if I have more than 20 gallons of used motor oil for collection?

Garden Grove assures finding a solution to all used motor oil quantities. Large quantities, however, usually require special handling. Minimum handling and testing fees may apply. Call the hotline **(800) 449-7587** to discuss your specific details.